Publishing on LinkedIn can help you gain visibility within your network and specific industry. The opportunities are limitless. However, getting started and generating a following can be tough. Use these 30 tips and resources to speed up your learning curve, and start creating powerful blog posts on LinkedIn today.
1) Write from the heart. See this post from Andy Books as a high benchmark: The Hardest Part is the Failure.
2) Inject some humor into your posts. If you can provide a first time reader with valuable info that they can use to better themselves in life or in their career, AND make them laugh all in the same post, you will have gained a new follower.
3) Use a crisp, clean, and clear image as the cover photo to catch the reader’s attention.
4) Understand the Pulse Channels. Getting featured on Pulse exposes your content to new audiences. To learn how to get your blog featured on LinkedIn Pulse check out this post.
5) Optimize your title for SEO but don’t make it too long. Most experts say the ideal length for an SEO optimized title is 5-10 words.
6) Don’t waste your time and energy on trolls. For ways to deal with them read this post: Stay Productive on Social Media: Don’t Feed the Trolls.
7) Tell your story! Viral posts almost always have a relevant story. Check out the posts of Dustin McKissen to see a master story teller at work.
8) Engage with your audience! Reply to as many commenters as possible. At a minimum like their comment so that they know that you read it.
9) Share your posts to relevant Google+ Communities to get more views and to improve your search rankings. To learn how click here.
10) Follow key influencers both in your immediate network and outside of your network. Consider following the work of LinkedIn Executive Editor, Daniel Roth, for insights regarding LinkedIn’s publishing platform.
11) Provide links to relevant past posts and invite readers to continue reading.
12) Include a bio at the end of your post and any cross-channel promotional links to your website or other social sites.
13) Make sure your profile is complete and interesting so that when readers click on it after reading your post, they will be compelled to follow you.
14) Readers love a good quote. When relevant, put in a quote from a thought leader.
15) Make friends with other bloggers and collaborate. Join blogger communities like Publishers & Bloggers.
16) Embed a Slideshare presentation or other multi-media to give your post a rich content look and feel.
17) Share your post everywhere! Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Reddit, LinkedIn groups, etc.
18) Build an extensive network of connections and followers. The amount of organic traffic your post generates plays a large roll in whether it gets featured on Pulse. With a large group of followers, you will generate more organic views from your network.
19) Optimize your post for SEO using keywords.
20) There is no substitute for quality content. Give your readers value and they will come back for more.
21) Include a call to action at the end of your post.
22) Share and like other writer’s posts. This is good social media karma, and will get you reciprocity from other writers.
24) Share your expertise with your audience. You’ve learned a lot in your career.
25) Write about trending topics in your industry. Doing so will help to increase your sphere of influence and establish you as a thought leader.
26) Sync your LinkedIn and Twitter accounts so that you don’t miss out on Tweets of your post.
27) Re-publish relevant posts from your personal or company blog on LinkedIn.
28) Publish regularly to gain a consistent following.
29) Discuss challenges you’ve faced and how you overcame them. Readers love a good story of triumph over failure.
30) Send out a personal message to the VIP within your network directing them to your post.
Still need more ideas? Here are a few posts that might inspire you:
Now I’d like to hear from you. What tips have I missed? Please do engage in discussion surrounding publishing on LinkedIn, blogger tips, or anything else that came to mind as you were reading my post.
About the Author: John White is the Chief Marketing Officer atSocial Marketing Solutions, the LinkedIn group owner of Publishers and Bloggers, MBA candidate, and contributor to Dice Tech News, Linked Into Business, and more.
Need a blogger to help tell your company’s brand story or support for your company’s social media marketing? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me direct at 970.692.3270.
Click here to view my other published articles on LinkedIn Pulse.